As coronavirus cases mount, many Central Floridians who suffer from chronic pain are looking for alternatives to avoid using steroids that may compromise their immune system making them more vulnerable to contract COVID-19. Specialized Rehabilitation Physician Group, is providing an innovative approach for patients suffering from chronic pain.
Dr. Javier Placer, MD, and experienced physiatrist at Specialized Rehabilitation Physician Group is available to provide a talk about the following topics:
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment for people with chronic pain: Usually, people with chronic pain are older and steroids shots are commonly used in order to reduce the overall pain. With the COVID-19 pandemic we need to be aware of the risks of performing procedures that may jeopardize the health of these patients. It is known that steroids can compromise the immune system in some individuals. The use of PRP injections are known to be safe and highly effective in addressing pain. Using the patient’s plasma for chronic pain provides an excellent option to lower the potential risk of compromising the immune system and stimulates the regeneration of the treated area.
- Explain in detail the simplicity of the Platelet-Rich Plasma Treatment:
- The procedure is performed in office and is relatively painless. Blood is extracted from the patient and later placed in a special machine that will separate the platelets from the rest of the blood cells. The platelet is later extracted and injected into the area that will be treated. The procedure can take around 30 minutes. Patients tends to feel relief within the first week of injection.
- Benefits of using the treatment in times of Coronavirus: A lot of patients with joint and back pain are afraid of undergoing steroid injections due to the possible negative impact on the immune system. This treatment can be done without compromising their immune system but stimulate their body to regenerate in a safe and effective way.
- General tips for dealing with chronic pain and COVID-19: Pain tends to affect the overall wellbeing of any individual. Patients can always use over the counter medications for pain, but it is not ideal to have pain while dealing with the stressful situation like COVID-19 because stress may lower your immune system as well. The PRP injection is a viable option to address the pain on this patient and feel better quickly after the first treatment.